Tuesday, January 1, 2013

An Unworthy Reward

As the year came to a close last night, I was overwhelmed with gratitude of all that the Lord did this year.  He is so faithful and consistent.

A few days ago, I came across this simple statement I have heard countless times, and yet finally it clicked:

"We are the reward for Jesus. We are his inheritance."

The Holy Spirit opened my heart to this truth, and I was completely awestruck at how crazy this fact is.

How in the world could I be a reward for Jesus, the King of Kings, the Creator of Heaven and earth, the Son of God!? I don't feel like I could be much of a reward to even an earthly prince, much less THE PRINCE.

Because Jesus died on the cross...He gets me. (All of us, which is so much greater, but I also believe that if it had been for just one person, he would have done it all the same.)

It is so beyond my comprehension that this is a fair trade. I mean, Lord, I wouldn't be insulted if you felt jipped by this.

The Son of God, the Prince of Peace, almighty God enthroned on high humbled himself to be a human on this earth, suffered for 33 years and died the most  horrific death, then went down to hell, defeated death, and rose from the dead, and ascended into heaven where He now rules in all power and might and perfection. And for allllllll of that He gets...

me.

If this does not boggle someone's mind..I don't know what will.

Think of the most perfect perfect PERFECT person doing all of the hardest most impossible things and then their Father comes and says, "Well done. Here is (you), Your reward."

WHAT!? I'm sorry, this just really is incomprehensible to me. I mean, here's little old me stuck in my own world preoccupied with clothes, stuff, people, etc. and sometimes completely ignoring the One whose reward I am supposed to be. I am selfish, lazy, impatient, foolish, and so much more stuff that is the opposite of who Jesus is. And yet...God made me His Son's reward. : 0 (jaw dropping moment)

Another mind blowing fact: Jesus knew what his reward was going to be before He came to the earth. He knew that we, a fallen people, would be his reward. And that is all He wanted and still to this day continues to want.

All He wants is us. Why? Because He is love. Despite our failures and faults, God cannot stop loving us. It is NOT in Him to stop loving us. That right there is the absolute wonder of God.

He cannot help but love us.

" 'Oh Lord, I cannot believe that You would have me as a reward. Me? How is it that I could be Your inheritance? Your reward for dying the most horrific death? 

I cannot begin to grasp how I could possibly be worthy or deserve being Your reward. For surely You deserve so much greater, so much more!  How can You have chosen me to be the reward for Your most Beloved Son, oh God? 

There is no logic or reason behind choosing such wretched me to be the reward for the Prince of Peace. To even imagine that I could be something You want is incomprehensible. Do you not feel cheated Jesus?' 

'No, my beloved child. I do not feel cheated. I knew what I had to do to earn you. I knew all along that you would be my inheritance, my glorious reward. I see you as you will be, perfectly perfect. Oh how glorious you will be alongside me, my sweet child. 

I did it for you. You are all my soul longs for. From the day sin ripped you away from me, the day my heart was torn from me, I have sought to win you back. I would have died that death a thousand times for you, if need be. But no, it was once and for all. 

Oh that you knew how much I love you, sweet one. Oh that you only knew. You would see how I see you, washed clean in my precious blood. Righteous and pure. Loving and passionate. Humble and strong. Simple and true. 

I desire you. I desire every thought, breath, action, and affection. Won't you give yourself to me? 

Am I not worthy to receive my reward?'"


May this be the year, brothers and sisters, that we truly give our lives to the One who deserves them.


"Who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." Philippians 2:6-11

No comments:

Post a Comment