Saturday, December 1, 2012

To the Pastors and Churches of America


Over the past year, I have come to see, more than ever, the two sides of Christian theology.  I have been to churches that love the Word and speak directly from it week after week. I have also been to and seen online churches that supplement the sermon with Scripture, but mostly go by what the Spirit leads them to discuss.

The two have differing views, but both, I believe, truly do seek the Truth of God; their methods are just different.

But the struggle I face with both of these is that there is a lack of balance. It seems as though if the love of the Word is there, the Spirit is quenched. Or if there is the love of the Spirit, the Word is forgotten.

Before I continue, I realize there is no perfect church. We are a bunch of imperfect people, and when you get a bunch of imperfect people all together…it will create a big imperfect group.   I am not seeking to criticize any church theology or beliefs. I am simply writing about an observation I have made, and wish to discuss.

In my experience, both sides believe they are more correct in their theology. There is this huge division between the two sides and both view the other as being “extreme” or “misled.”

So this is what I want to say:

Pastors and churches of America,
            I am tired of having to pick a side of theology. I am tired of hearing about what you think. I want to know what the Bible says. I want to hear about my Savior. I want to worship in a place where the Word is loved and studied, yet the Spirit is free to move and lead. My soul longs for the Bride to be balanced as the Word tells us to be.
            I don’t need the musical productions, the entertaining jokes, or the trendy creative videos. I don’t need a comfortable laid-back atmosphere. I don’t need fun social events so I can meet other people my age. I don’t need tips on how to save money or get healthy. I don’t need a nice building with comfy seats.
            I need my heavenly Father. I need Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I need the Holy Spirit.
            That is what we are seeking. My generation doesn’t need anymore of our culture than we already get. We need our Savior. We need to be read the Word, reminded that we are not entitled, righteous, or worthy. That nothing we do could ever be enough. We need to be reminded to repent, daily. We need to be reminded that the ONLY reason we can be called righteous or worthy is because of what JESUS did. Not what we do.
            I don’t need you to make me feel good about myself. I need to feel and realize the total depravity of my soul without God. I don’t need to be coddled and comfy. I want to be challenged and convicted. I don’t need to be swooned or entertained.
I need to be taught.
I may feel loved and special after a sermon…but that feeling won’t get me through the valleys of depression, anger, sorrow, or defeat. I need to know His promises in the WORD. I need to know TRUTH. What does God say about me? Show me in scripture and then I will believe you. Don’t tell me what you think about me, or what you think God thinks about me. Show me. Because when it boils down to it…that’s the only absolute truth I can believe in.
            But I don’t just need the Word. I need His Spirit. I can read Scripture over and over, but if I don’t have the Spirit of God in me, I will grasp nothing. Show me how to draw near to God. Show me how to not quench the Spirit with my constraints and fears. Show me how to not put the Holy Spirit in a box, but warn me against trusting my feelings and thoughts. Teach me how to discern between the Spirit and false spirits that come to destroy distract my soul.
            Show me how to live in the Spirit by example. Show me that you don’t put God’s Spirit on a time schedule; that you trust the Holy Spirit enough to forgo your 90 minute service constraint. Show me that you are willing to put aside traditions and routines to allow the Spirit to move in your congregation. Show me that the Spirit is not to be toyed or joked with. Show me reverence for the Gospel and His Spirit.
            Teach me how the Spirit will never speak or teach something that is not already in Scripture. Teach me that God does not contradict himself. Ever. Show me that whatever the Spirit does or says is in direct correlation with the ministry of Jesus and the Father, shown in Scripture.
In John 4:23-24, Jesus says, “Yet a time is coming, and has now come when the true worshippers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for they are the kind of worshippers the Father seeks. God is spirit, and His worshippers must worship in spirit and in truth.”
            This is what we are hungry for! I long to see the Bride worship together in spirit and in truth, with the Word and the Spirit.
            The two should go hand in hand. You cannot understand one without the other.
            I want to worship my God in a place of freedom. No more constraints, no more distractions. I don’t come to church to encounter a good show or emotional entertainment. I come to church to stand beside my brothers and sisters and worship at the feet of my King.
            My generation is hungry, starving, for the presence of God. Nothing else. We are looking for a place where we can put aside the trends and distractions of our culture, and simply pour our hearts out to our God.
            We don’t need anything else. We just need our Savior. We simply need his Word and his Spirit. It is not complex theology.  
            It is Him. 

3 comments:

  1. Sophia, I came across your blog and decided to stop and post a comment for you like a good friend did for me. I hope you don't find offense to this, my intention is to help. :) The truth is that it's very evident that you seem to be confused, prideful, or legitimately ignorant. I understand your frustration towards Western churches today and how a lot of them aren't what they should be but I hope that doesn't cause an inner rebellion in you towards the church. Find a local church that preaches the Word, and submit to the authority, I am so surprised that you don't have a good friend to let you know this. From reading your blog, it's pretty evident that you probably aren't submitted to a church because of the way you speak. It all sounds 'spiritual' calling out mediocrity but it's still the same game you played when you were young 'trying to please him or her.'
    One good way to see this, read your blog as a bystander and not yourself and you might see what I am trying to help you with. Also, please don't take this as persecution, I'm trying to help and if it's legitimate ignorance than that's fine just keep reading His Beautiful Word and submitting yourself to a church.
    I will pray that you will try and seek Him for Him and not for what you can make people think about you through Him. Someone pointed this out for me and it took the Lord to reveal it to my heart. Thanks for listening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, thank you so much for taking the time and energy to write me. I have lived a prideful, self-righteous life for over 20 years. But in His grace, he broke me of that and continues to heal my heart of this sin. He opened my eyes to see the death that lies in being arrogant and self-righteous. He has changed my heart, and yes sometimes I do slip into that old nature, but the Lord is always faithful to convict my heart and discipline me.

      Within this past year I began attending a church that I dearly love. I have attended church my entire life, and have been hurt deeply by some that I attended. But in the Lord's grace he has brought healing in my heart and guided me to a church that adheres to the Word and allows the Spirit to move. I am active in my church family and dearly love all of my brothers and sisters that I have met there.

      This post was written out of a place of frustration after attending a few churches and watching others online. I never sought to imply that I knew the solution or knew how to run a church. I do not believe that anything is wrong with things that I mentioned above, but I fear that they sometimes distract us from our true Love. I actually had friends read over my post before publishing it and discussed it with them. I seek others' wisdom and admonishment in my writing and speech. My purpose in writing this was to express the fact that what we need most in this world is Jesus, "you can have all this world, but give me Jesus."

      I'm sorry that my passion and hunger for the Lord has come across as ignorant, self-seeking, "spiritual," and proud. It has never been my intention to bring glory to myself in sharing the things that I have shared. I have only sought to share the joy and hope the Lord has shown me. I seek to give him all the honor and glory, because I see my heart and the death it holds in and of itself. Thank you for speaking out of love and concern. I truly appreciate it. I receive all that you have said, and pray that the Lord would continue to reveal to me his Truth and continue to convict and discipline me when I am living in sin. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. I know you posted this a few months back but I just needed to respond to let you know I agree with you totally.
    It's been eating at my spirit for months now myself I watch my church dig deeper and deeper into being entertained in church.
    After all "you want them to come back don't you?" and "you want to attract people don't you?"
    This last Sunday the worship music was very worshipful centering on the Holyness of Christ only to be followed by a couple of youth pastors trying to get volunteers by "yucking it up".... I was so very saddened that a potentially worshipful time had turned into a circus.

    I think what we are seeing are Churches who have forgotten their First Love.
    This happens when the church itself becomes the focus of our attentions and not Jesus.

    On an individual basis it happens when we forget who we once were and what we were saved from and by Who and for what.
    It is that remembrance that drives us to continue to love others and Christ Loved us. Sacrificially and without prerequisite.

    I'm very happy to hear that you have found a Church home in which to Worship.
    Your brother in Christ,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete